garethlewry

Short Rambling Reviews

Small, hopefully concise , 300 word max book reviews

The Narrows

The Narrows - James Brogden Originally reviewed at almightylewry.wordpress.com

I have to say I was very impressed with this book, the characters were well realised and engaging, the story itself was brilliant, I did find in places that there was a little too much going on but generally thought it was great, it had total worlds domination, delusions of grandeur and the inevitable arrogance that comes with it.

the author delved into the earths energy and chi philosophy brilliantly, together with the energy meridians of the body which are connected and the immeasurable power that comes from it, shapes the universe. He also explored the idea of other realities as well, and energy connecting to them all linked to the summer and winter solstice.
In my opinion Oliver twist had definitely had an influence on the narrowfolk, in that they were essentially urchins and the fagin-esque character ran the house they stayed - sent them out on "jobs".

I find it quite fascinating that with the majority of the fantasy novels I have read, the universe that is created, there is sometimes on some small level a slight inconsistency with some of the details. However, this is a slightly different beast, it is set in modern day Britain, and the universe had been created around it, and in all honesty couldn't find any inconsistency within the detail....not that I am on the hunt for inconsistencies, but sometimes something small jumps out at me and I question it, and try to put it in context of the universe I am reading. I can honestly say this universe and they way it was written didn't have me questioning anything.

Overall it's a great read. After I had finished it, I was driving along a country lane near where I live and I swear I saw something out of the corner of my eye, just for a split second, and there it was, a glimmer of hope that there could have been some truth to the story.......can you imagine!!